Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Encountering Radical Change!

There is change… and then there is radical change.

On April 10, 2009, I experienced radical change first-hand!

It was Good Friday and I was looking forward to a nice, relaxing weekend.

I left my office at lunchtime and drove over to the nearby Lowe’s to pick up two more bags of mulch.

It was soon going to rain, so it was my goal to get the mulch and get it spread out first, and then make a sandwich and clean the house second.

The distance from the Lowe’s parking lot to my house is approximately 3.5 miles.

Driving the MINI Cooper, I only really had storage room on the passenger seat, so I placed both bags on it and also buckled the seat belt around them. If the seal belts were not connected, the seat belt alarm would go off and it bugged the heck out of me.

I was on a four-lane road called Moreland that then changes names north of Ponce to Briarcliff. It’s a four-lane road – two lanes on each side – that then narrows down to a two-lane road, as it gets closer to my home.

This stretch of highways had recently been featured in a newspaper story about the top ten worst intersections in the state. Never thought that I would experience those stats first hand, but I did!

While it was not as crowded as the roadways are during rush hour, there were a number of other folks that had now left their offices early and others that had the day off.

As I made the turn in the road, there before me was the challenge that would spawn the radical change… in the midst of all the traffic, there were two cars in the inside lane that decided to turn left and were stopped waiting for clearance in the traffic flow.

I am thankful that I was not driving fast.

The last thing I physically remember was saying, “there is really no way out of this” to myself. Change was inevitable.

Making a long story short, I ended up using the right lane to get around the cars and thought I had clearance, but I ended up nudging or being nudged and the MINI went out of control.

I hit a lamppost and brick wall head-on.

The engine in the MINI broke free and ended up also in the front seat.

I shattered both legs below the knee, broke my right collarbone, broke my right wrist and injured my right eye and the bone around it.

With all the metal plates and screws in me, I will never clear one of those metal security screeners!

I was hospitalized for 17 days and now at my parent’s home in recovery.

I cannot put any weight on my legs as they heal so I have to rely on a wheelchair to at least get a different viewpoint or perspective.

It’s just over a month now since the accident and I have had a lot of chance to think through next steps.

The radical change?

• I closed down the Atlanta office of BrandVenture – not sure just how accessible the office would be

• Put my house up for sale – cannot do the three stories!

• Relocating both me and the business to Athens, Georgia

• Planning to do joint venture work with Sliced Bread

• May go back to school to get my PhD

Part of me keeps saying caution, caution, caution… another part of me says that this change, may be radical, but is inevitable and part of the “master plan.”

Over the course of the last couple of weeks, I have been reading my morning Ad Age electronic stories.

One of the stories talked about the shift that is in place where the “hot shops” and “most creative ideas” are coming out of agencies and creative groups that are located out and beyond from the Top 10 Market Metros.

Ad Age also highlights an agency in Greenville, SC that is hosting its 2nd Annual Food For Thought Conference. Individuals can attend this conference in person or experience it on line through Twitter, Flickr, Facebook or Blogs.

The agency hosting the event is Erwin-Penland that is housed on Main Street, not Michigan nor Madison Avenue.

If you read this Blog, I would love to get your thoughts.

I’ll be in recovery for at least another 60 days… but then I will be getting the company re-established in Athens, Georgia.

The next blog will be about Athens, its history, its character, what makes it unique and what fuels the creativity that dwells here.

The change now taking place is radical… and not sure I would have done this if I were not forced into it.

BUT… I do believe it is going to enrich my insights, my resources and tools, and the perspective I can bring to the brand marketing planning table.

So… make sure you have those seat belts on and Hey, Let’s Journey!

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Mark, You are my inspiration. The way you face every situation with the most positive outlook, encourages me through all of my perceived low spots. I know that you can make any reality you wish to. Location is not an issue. Virtual, physical or other to be defined, will not stand in your way of success.
Take the healing process slowly and with clarity you will 'land' into the next major endeavor with new vitality and vigor. In the short time that I've been blessed with you in my life, I've been constantly awed by your aura and perspective.
What a wonderful opportunity to allow your creativity to 'rule'!

The Market Sage said...

Mark - I have a lot to say about change! It never comes when you expect it but, as I told you in the hospital, you will learn (and I think you already have) many things through this experience.

Glad to see you so active online. You may have some physical limitations currently, but you do have a voice. That's for sure.

Hope to come for a visit soon. Perhaps I'll grab Teya and we can ride over.

See you on the other side of 50. T--