Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Mirage To Keep Millennials In Jobs

I know that the term “breeders” is rooted among the GenXers. 

After all, it’s the GenXers whose main mission in life has been to raise that picture perfect family not torn apart by extramarital affairs, mother abandonment, corporate loyalty or divorce.

BUT… when we look at many Boomers today as they fade quickly from the corporate scene, they express a strong desire to breed a higher level of mission… a visionary pursuit among the Millennials quickly taking over the pilot seat.

When I read a lead article in today’s Wall Street Journal, I knew that it just had to be the driver of my next entry into the EXPERIENCE blog post. 

 The title of the article is, “I don’t have a job, I have a higher calling” with a subtitle, “Some employees balk as many firms from motorcycles to accounting firms step up talk about changing the world.”

Hail the corporate vision statement.  Hail the Boomers’ commitment to Peace, Love, and Harmony. Hail the Millennials marching to the beat of the corporate bongo drum.

The aspect of being in business to serve the consumer need… well heck, its not about them, its about us.  Its all about what gets us up, arriving to work and not seeking out another job. Its all about us... me!

The author of the article captures factual truth…

“Millennial professionals are demanding more meaning from their careers because work takes up more of life than before, thanks to longer hours, competitive pressures and technological tethers of the modern job.  Meanwhile traditional sources of meaning and purpose, such as religion have receded in many corners of the country.”

Many Millennials grew up with Baby Boomer “helicopter” parents.  The parent’s hovered over the child and what they wanted, they got.  And when they failed, well, they got more.  Peace. Love. Harmony.

So we have KPMG’s CEO John Velhmeyer making the statement, “We can see ourselves as bricklayers or cathedral builders.” 

I wonder just how many of those KPMG execs have ever even shopped at an Ace Hardware store let alone own a power tool. My bet is that few of those Millennials recently hired at KPMG took a shop class.

And Tavelzoo CEO Chris Loughlin declaring their vision statement, “If we all traveled, there would be significantly more peace on Earth.”

How many of you in your recent travel rated that hotel you stayed in a perfect “10?”  How many of you believe that the airlines are all out for comfort and service?  When was the last time you saw a security person actually smile and say, “thank you, have a good day”?

Here’s another great snippet from the article.

“Juniper Networks has spent much of the past year cutting costs, laying off workers and fending off activist shareholders.  Two days after announcing a fourth-quarter loss, managers at the technology company gathered hundreds of employees in a massive tent it calls the ‘aspiration dome’.”

Okay. If we can’t keep employees in their job and stop them from fleeing a sinking ship, we’ll just rally them around a self-declared vision and they’ll march to the beat of our drums.

When I read articles like this, I get more charged about my job.

Not because I’m out to save whales or make little doggies wag their tail or save a tree from being cut down or making everyone go to bed at night with a full tummy.

The idea of crafting an emotional vision statement is not problematic – in fact, it’s a critical component of bringing a brand to life.  

But when the vision is defined within the context of internal leadership looking within their corporate walls and has little-to-nothing to do with their customers, its something about which both peers and consumers can only laugh.

It gets even more crazy when the drive to do it is not to meet the experiential needs of consumers, but rather keep Millennials in their 24/7 jobs.

I get charged about my job because these companies are moving forward, but forward is slipping closer and closer to ultimately Chapter 11 in their novel of corporate vision.

When I tell companies and groups that their vision statement needs to be one and the same with their consumer’s emotional needs, those that get it, not just survive, but move profits forward.

I write this from a Starbucks located in the great city of Brookhaven Georgia, the newest city carved out of the Atlanta metro.

While the city of Brookhaven has some of the wealthiest homes found in Greater Atlanta, we also house one of the highest concentrations of first-entry Hispanic/Latinos.  They make up just under a third of our population.

I find that part of Brookhaven more inspiring than the fancy homes and our Chamber of Commerce needs to embrace it more.

A very large percentage of Brookhaven’s Hispanic base is made up of Millennials.  I admire how many get up early in the morning and go to work or seek out a job for the day. 

When I ask them what drives them, the answers are nearly all the same.

“I am here to work and do a good job so that some day, I have a house and can raise a family here and send money to my relatives back home.”

Their “higher calling” is really not too high.

I know where I will put my money on just who will reach their vision. 


I also know where I will put my money on just who will still be working… and working hard… in a few years from now.

No comments: